Tiny Bubbles – The New Lomography Nour Triplet Lens
When it comes to unique lenses,, especially in rendering the out-of-focus areas or bokeh, there have been some legendary optics. And of late, more lenses have started to pop up. TTArtisans 100mm f/2.8 “Soap Bubble” and the Soviet Cult Classic Helios 44. Lomography is no stranger to producing lenses with interesting Bokeh; I’m a big fan of my Daguerreotype Achromat 64mm f/2.9, launched via Kickstarter. Yesterday, Lomography announced its newest campaign to launch a new optic, the Nour Triplet V 2.0/64 Bokeh Control Art Lens.
Lomography’s new lens draws inspiration from an extraordinary scientist. Born 965 CE, Hasan Ibn al-Haytham spent most of his life in Cario, Egypt and is considered by many as the father of modern optics. Throughout his life, he significantly contributed to light and visual perception principles. Al-Haytham was the first to note the existence of spherical aberrations, which is the basis of our new Art Lens. What is spherical aberration? These occur when the light passing through the edges of a lens focuses closer to the lens than light passing through its centre. One of the few aberrations that affect the entire frame, SA causes a gorgeous diffused haze and soft focus effect that causes the frame to ‘glow’, a delightful quality for many types of photography, especially portraiture. Unlike most modern lenses, which prioritise technical perfection over artistic expression, our lens is designed to take you on a creative journey. This handcrafted brass lens will be available for Sony E, Nikon Z, and Canon RF full-frame mirrorless mounts, designed to inspire and empower photographers and videographers to unleash their artistic vision.
Launched yesterday on Kickstarter in a historically-inspired brass design and sleek black aluminium version for full-frame mirrorless Canon RF, Nikon Z and Sony E mounts, the lens will be available to backers at an unrivalled starting price of 335 USD with 25% savings to be made on early bird pledges, with a delivery option before December 24th 2023. You can find the campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/nour-triplet-bokeh-control-art-lens
Early bird pledge black aluminium lens: 335 USD
Early bird pledge brass lens: 410 USD
Final retail price black aluminium lens: 449 USD
Final retail price brass lens: 549 USD
With a 64 mm focal length and creative aberration control, the Nour Art Lens is an incredibly versatile tool for capturing breathtaking portraits that stand out. The Nour Art Lens is optimised for videography with silent stopless focus and aperture rings, as well as the option to add follow-focus gear rings. Using the control knob, create powerful transitions and elevate your main character, seamlessly alternating between a soft-focus glow evoking the golden age of cinema and a sharp three-dimensional effect featuring beautiful soap bubble bokeh. The most unique feature is a signature Lomography control knob to turn backgrounds into a canvas using three levels of spherical aberration control.
- Slide the knob to ‘Bubble’ to over-correct spherical aberration and produce razor-sharp images with an unconventional bubble bokeh background and three-dimensional effect.
- Slide the knob to ‘Classic’ (in the middle) to perfectly correct spherical aberration and define your subjects over a smooth background.
- Slide the aberration control knob to ‘Soft’ to under-correct spherical aberration and produce an alluring soft-focus effect and dreamy, glamorous look.
- Focal Length: 64 mm
- Lens Construction: 5 elements 3 groups
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.0
- Apertures available: f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16
- Dual Aperture Mechanism: iris-style and special shaped drop-in rear aperture plates
- Image Circle: 44 mm
- Field of View: 37°
- Lens Mounting Profile: Full-frame mirrorless, Sony E, Nikon Z, Canon RF mounts
- Electronic Contacts: No
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.6 m
- Focusing Mechanism: helicoid
- Filter Thread: 55 mm
- Detachable lens hood: yes
- Special aperture plates: Six Drop-in rear aperture plates included
- Available in two finishes: brass with black brass ring elements + black aluminium